Pastor Mike’s parents love to remind him that the call to professional ministry was in him from an early age — he would stand behind a Fisher Price table and (mostly unintelligibly) “preside” over the liturgy. Born in Connecticut, Pastor Mike first moved to Utah in 1995. After graduating from the Waterford School in Sandy, he went to college at the University of Tulsa to study Electrical Engineering, with the intent of learning how to build music and audio equipment.
In 2004, his senior year, something changed. While loving the “puzzles” of engineering, he was dissatisfied with the work. He wanted something more, and one Sunday, the Pastoral Intern and Music Director of First Lutheran Church (where he was attending) each confronted him about becoming a pastor. After that, everything was different.
Mike was encouraged to enroll in Salt Lake Theological Seminary, which he did in 2005. He greatly enjoyed the life of a seminary student, relishing the chance to learn more about the Bible. Mike took a work-study job in the library, soon becoming the Library Supervisor. He also worked as an IT assistant, before moving to Iowa in 2007 for an internship at St. Olaf Lutheran Church in Fort Dodge.
Upon graduation from SLTS in 2009 with his Masters of Divinity, Pastor Mike accepted the call to serve as pastor of Holy Cross Lutheran Church. He has been active in the community, serving on a number of boards and committees including:
- Chairman of the Board, Christian Counseling Centers of Utah
- President, Box Elder Interfaith Council
- President, Intermountain West District of LCMC
- Chairman, Brigham City Citizen Corps Council
- Member, Northern Utah Ministerial Association
- Member, Brigham City Public Utilities Advisory Board
- Interfaith Representative, Brigham City Citizen Corp Council (former)
- Interfaith Representative, Brigham City Youth Commission Executive Board (former)
Mike met his wife, Michelle, at a Vacation Bible School 6 years before he, at another VBS, realized she was pretty awesome and he finally asked her to lunch. Together they have a dog, Izzy. Mike is also an avid musician; he plays drums, guitar, bass, and piano. He also does live sound consulting for churches, schools, and other organizations.